Monday, June 27, 2011

Book Shelf: Queen of the Dead (The Ghost and the Goth #2) by Stacey Kade





After being sent back from the light, Alona Dare - former homecoming queen, current Queen of the Dead - finds herself doing something she never expected: working. Instead of spending days perfecting her tan by the pool (her typical summer routine when she was, you know, alive), Alona must now cater to the needs of other lost spirits. By her side for all of this - ugh - “helping of others” is Will Killian: social outcast, seer of the dead, and someone Alona cares about more than she’d like.

Before Alona can make a final ruling on Will’s “friend” or “more” status, though, she discovers trouble at home. Her mom is tossing out Alona’s most valuable possessions, and her dad is expecting a new daughter with his wicked wife. Is it possible her family is already moving on? Hello! She’s only been dead for two months! Thankfully, Alona knows just the guy who can put a stop to this mess.

Unfortunately for Alona, Will has other stuff on his mind, and Mina, a young (and beautiful) seer, is at the top of the list. She’s the first ghost-talker Will’s ever met—aside from his father—and she may hold answers to Will’s troubled past. But can she be trusted? Alona immediately puts a check mark in the “clearly not” column. But Will is - ahem - willing to find out, even if it means leaving a hurt and angry Alona to her own devices, which is never a good idea.

Blurb from Goodreads.....


Review:

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a fun, easy read, with all the trademark humour, wit and adventure that was there in the first book. The storyline continues to be interesting, and yet it’s changing too. It’s altering and shaping up, becoming more complex. The Order and even the big problem Alona gets herself into, make the story so much more intriguing and the whole time I was reading I was desperate to know what would happen next.
Personally, I feel like Will and Alona are fabulous characters. They’re both so great as individuals, and yet when they’re together---wow! They really make the book in my opinion. The connection and spark they have never fails to entertain me and I love how they see the best, and worst, in each other even when sometimes others don’t.

Will is a smart, intelligent guy who just so happens to see ghosts. And yet this doesn’t define him, not at all. He’s witty and funny and totally willing to take Alona head on at times and if guys you haven’t read these books, you should know that that sometimes is a massive feat in and of itself. He’s a lot more than he appears and I’m enjoying getting to know him with each book in this series. I think its brilliant how he doesn’t take any of Alona’s crap and how calls her on her stupidity and selfishness. He keeps her grounded (quite literally in some cases) and continues to help her be a better person. He’s the kind of guy every girl dreams of being friends with, and more in some cases and he’s a great MC to follow.
Ahhh, Alona. It’s amazing how much I actually love this girl, considering her (sometimes) selfish and vain nature continues to drive her so much at times. Alona Dare can be shallow, self-absorbed and completely self-centred and yet there’s something about her that shines through! Her faults and feelings are completely human, and while I can’t deny that the things she worries over and the things she often thinks and says are usually vain, she’s got such depth to her. She has insecurities and fears and she’s so much more complex than she appears on the outside. She can be feisty and witty, but she has a hidden vulnerability inside and she actually cares about other people at times—granted it’s in her own unique Alona way.

A lot of truth about what Will is and his ability’s come to light in this novel, but I still feel there is a lot more to learn. Will is only just getting a glimpse into the Order and he really doesn’t know all too much than he did at the beginning. Honestly, I’m interested to learn more about what happened to Will’s father and why he made the choices he did. It offers a lot as to why Will is the way he is and can help shape him more in the future.
The shocks with Alona and certain other character I won’t name for fear of giving away spoilers, I certainly didn’t see coming. And yet, let me just say......they.....are....brilliant! Obviously, I’m one of those gals dying to see Will and Alona figure out a solution as to how they’re going to be together permanently considering that she’s a ghost and he’s alive and this certainly goes a long way to potentially solving that problem, but I do wonder exactly what it all means. It’s a big change and surely it has to have repercussions.

I love this series and the way it has continued to draw me in with each book. This book ends with a bit of a cliff-hanger and I’m dying to know what happenes next. It’s going to kill me to wait for the next book, but I HAVE to know what’s going to happen to Will and Alona next.
This series is a great fun read for anyone who loves ghosts and paranormal elements. If you haven’t read it I suggest you do---you won’t regret it!


Rating: **** stars
Recommend: Yes!
Did I Buy, Borrow or is it an ARC: Bought
Recommend Buy or Borrow: Buy
Ebook or Actual Book: Actual Book
Cover: I love the covers in this series--they're awesome and this one is no exception!
Read sequel/continue with series: Yes, oh yes!

Buy it here:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo