Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Book Shelf: Insatiable (Insatiable #1) by Meg Cabot




Sick of vampires? So is Meena Harper.

But her boss is making her write about them anyway, even though Meena doesn’t believe in them.

Not that Meena isn’t familiar with the supernatural. See, Meena Harper knows how you’re going to die (not that you’re going to believe her; no one ever does).

But not even Meena’s precognition can prepare her for what happens when she meets—then makes the mistake of falling in love with—Lucien Antonescu, a modern-day prince with a bit of a dark side . . . a dark side a lot of people, like an ancient society of vampire-hunters, would prefer to see him dead for.

The problem is, he already is dead. Maybe that’s why he’s the first guy Meena’s ever met that she could see herself having a future with. See, while Meena’s always been able to see everyone else’s future, she’s never been able look into her own.

And while Lucien seems like everything Meena has ever dreamed of in a boyfriend, he might turn out to be more like a nightmare.

Now might be a good time for Meena to start learning to predict her own future . . .

If she even has one.

Blurb from Goodreads....


Review: (Warning, contains spoilers)

Meg Cabot heads in a whole new direction in this adult novel of hers, and even though it’s undoubtedly different from all her other books, it’s still filled with those fantastic characters and plotlines that make Meg Cabot amazing at what she does!
I did enjoy this book, I did. At times it felt long and did occasionally drag on, but I still found the characters and idea enjoyable. It seemed like everything and yet nothing happened at times with the time span of the book being so short and yet there were moments when I was drawn in so completely and had to know what would happen next.
I thought it was brilliant how Cabot more or less makes fun of the vampire phenomenon throughout what is essentially a vampire book. Her light, funny take on the implications and wide spread love of vampires in today’s society is something you’ve just gotta love!

This book contained a great cast of characters. From Meena and Lucien to Alaric and Jon to Mary Lou and her husband to Yalena, and Meena’s best friend, and even her dog. What can I say? Jack Bauer was an awesome little poochy and it was so sweet having him in the story.
One of the things I actually liked so much about Meena was that she was very ordinary. There was nothing really extraordinary about her and yet she was a really good character to follow in this book. While I’d be lying if I didn’t say that once or twice she wore on my nerves due to the choices she made, for the most part I found her to be quite likable. She had a spark about her that made her entertaining and good as a character.
I get that Lucien, is in all reality Meena’s love interest, and while I did like him and enjoyed some scenes with him and Meena, I just found him to be too flat to really love as a character. There was nothing about him that really stood out for me other than the typical dark, brooding vampire character that seems to be everywhere you look.

Plus, Lucien and Meena’s relationship? Don’t get me started on it! I understand he’s sexy and mysterious and she’s different from other women he’s ever met, but come on. They’re in love after one night together and a few fateful meetings? Obviously there’s a reason for this within the story, but I’m sorry, I’m just not buying it. Lucien was intimidating at times and I just feel like I needed to see them get to know one another better to really “feel” and believe their relationship.
Alaric on the other hand—whoa, baby! Totally diggin’ the guy! He was awesome. Yeah, he was a pain in the butt at times, I’ll admit, but he was sarcastic and quirky and fun. I’m definitely on this hunky vampire hunter’s side, even though I do think that not all vampires are evil. Usually, I find myself leaning towards the forbidden romance (which in this case would be Lucien) but there’s just something so sweet about Alaric. There was one part in this novel, right towards the end where he’s trying to convince Meena not to let what she’s seen destroy her and get to her, and he knows that by telling her this he may lose her, both to Lucien and to a different life, but he does it anyway because he knows it’s right and he cares about her enough to want her to be okay. If that’s not a decent guy, and what I’m thinking could be love, then I don’t know what is!

Overall this was a delightful read, filled with mostly fun, quirky characters that entertain you and draw you in. This story ends well, with this chapter of Meena’s life over and the next one just beginning. I’m looking forward to the sequel!


Rating: **** stars
Recommend: Yes
Did I Buy, Borrow or is it an ARC: Borrow
Recommend Buy or Borrow: Buy
Ebook or Actual Book: Actual Book
Cover: It's really nice.
Read sequel/continue with series: Yes

Buy it here:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo