Thursday, September 15, 2016

Book Shelf: Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children #1) by Ransom Riggs

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of curious photographs.

A horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.


More info on Goodreads......


Review:

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children is a unique and entertaining debut novel by Ransom Riggs in the vein of Harry Potter and Percy Jackson that will appeal to readers who enjoy adventurous tales.

Sixteen year old Jacob Portman has listened to his grandfather’s vivid and imaginative tales for years; stories of terrible monsters and children with amazing abilities. Jacob has always thought them nothing more than that, stories, but when a tragic accident sees Jacob journey to Wales with his father in an effort to find some closure, Jacob is about to discover that those tales are more real than he ever imagined…..and Jacob has more in common with those peculiar individuals than he thought possible…..

After all the hype surrounding this novel and this series, I am glad to have finally gotten around to reading it. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children began slowly for me before picking up and becoming an enjoyable read. I don’t think the story ever blew me away but I did find it highly unique and adventurous. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children seemed to feature that feel good, adventurous rush that series like Harry Potter and Percy Jackson have featured in the past.

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children features a number of haunting yet beautiful pictures that I have to commend author Ransom Riggs for including. My understanding is that these creepy and freaky portraits are in fact authentic and were the inspiration of a lot of Riggs characters. This is really clever on his part and I loved that he was able to tie them into the story and have them appear in the actual book. It made for a really vivid reading experience.

The concept and time travel mythology introduced and then explored within this novel is really intriguing. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children has a lot going for it with its peculiar cast of characters all with incredibly different abilities, interesting take on time travel and lush world, but if I’m being honest, I think I was expecting a really wow story.

I was a tad perplexed with the main character Jacob as well as his relationship with Emma. I couldn’t connect with Jacob to the full extent I wanted and found Emma’s fixation on Jacob to be strange considering her decades ago relationship with his grandfather. I think Jacob was just a substitute to the man she couldn’t have and as such the almost insta-love they seemed to experience was lost on me.

That being said, I did find Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children to be an interesting read and I’m really keen to see what Ransom Riggs does with the rest of the series. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children ends at a good moment to close one chapter in preparation for the next and I look forward to Riggs introducing and exploring more of his very peculiar fantasy world!

Rating:
Source:
I purchased from The Book Depository
Publisher: Quirk
Format: Hardback

Release Date: June 7th 2011
Purchase:
Bookworld | Booktopia | The Book Depository | Amazon
Final Thoughts:
A really unique novel, I look forward to reading the rest of the trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo