Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Book Shelf: Midnight Awakening (Midnight Breed #3) by Lara Adrian




With a dagger in her hand and vengeance on her mind, Darkhaven beauty Elise Chase prowls Boston’s streets in search of retribution against the Rogue vampires who took from her everything she cherished. Using an extraordinary psychic gift, she tracks her prey, well aware that the power she possesses is destroying her. She must learn to harness this gift, and for that she can turn to only one man—the deadliest of the Breed warriors, Tegan.

No stranger to loss, Tegan knows Elise’s pain. He knows fury, but when he slays his enemies it is with ice in his veins. He is perfect in his self-control, until Elise seeks his aid in her personal war. An unholy alliance is forged—a bond that will link them by blood and vow—and plunge them into a tempest of danger, desire, and the darkest passions of the heart. . .

Blurb from Goodreads.....


Review:

As I’ve mentioned in my previous reviews for the two Midnight Breed books I’ve read, I have liked them, but they haven’t really been that brilliant to me. I’ve loved the storylines, but nothing about the leading couples have particularly caught me. I haven’t been blown away by any of the books in the series, but I’ve finally found that wow one I’ve been waiting for!
I LOVED Midnight Awakening. It’s everything I’ve been waiting to find in this series. That one book that made me sits back and think, “Yep, this is why I’m reading this series.”

Unlike the featuring couples in both Kiss of Midnight and Kiss of Crimson, I simply adored Tegan and Elise. I felt connected to them and easily fell into their story and struggles. I found it easy to emphasise with them and I truly cared about what they were going through; only wanting them to find happiness with each other.
I must admit, Tegan is exactly the kind of male I love in these kinds of series. The one out of a brotherhood who is misunderstood and who everyone seems to think the worst of and yet is so much more than people think. That was Tegan to a tee---and I loved it! Tegan was a tough, strong, fierce man who had a good heart at his very base. I could understand why Tegan acted the way he did. He’d lost the person he loved and he didn’t want to feel anymore. Something he succeeding in doing for centuries, but it took a certain beauty to break through his shell.

You know, I actually didn’t like Elise that much in Kiss of Crimson. Throughout that book, as she dealt with her son begin missing and then how she acted with Chase, she came across to me as one of those weak, pathetic heroines who can’t let go of the past and can’t move one. Those annoying ones who grate on you and can’t do anything for themselves, but you know what? In this book she was nothing like that! Since the end of the last book she’d changed and grown so much....going out on her own and fighting the monsters that took her son. Elise was independent and strong willed, who found her feet more and more as the book progressed. She still had her vulnerabilities and issues, but she faced them with Tegan’s help and began to overcome them. I loved watching her begin to stand up to Tegan and to begin to see him for how he truly was. She was so likable and is easily my favourite heroine of the series so far.

I loved the relationship between Tegan and Elise. It didn’t feel forced or rushed considering this is a PNR, and I really felt the chemistry and attraction between the two of them. The tension and frustration dripped from the pages and I loved watching the relationship between the two of them grow and develop as the book went on. Elise had lost her entire world; her mate and then her son. Tegan had lost his mate and didn’t let anyone in. They were both so different and from different classes within the Breed world and yet they were the perfect person for each other; able to understand the deep loss the other felt and being able to heal that void they each had as no one else could. Theirs was a connection that I really felt, both physical and otherwise and I couldn’t get enough of them!

There were a few twists and turns in this book and I liked the plotline again. That’s one thing I can’t fault in this series. It’s been growing and changing a little bit more with each book and with the ending of this one this series could go in a whole other direction. I wonder what this means for the Order now and what will happen to the warriors. I’m really eager to read the rest of this series now after Tegan’s book and can’t wait to get my hands on Rio’s next!


Rating: ***** stars
Source: I bought
Format: Paperback
Recommend: Yes
Recommend borrow or buy: Buy
Cover: It ties in well with the others in the series.
Read sequel/continue with series: Yes

Buy it here:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo