Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Book Shelf: The Goddess Test (Goddess Test #1) by Aimee Carter


It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.
Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.

Blurb from Goodreads......


Review:

*I originally read this book off Netgalley back in March; before I ran this blog. When I was sent a fabulous copy thanks to Harlequin Australia, I decided to post a review in celebration.*

This book....wow! Every now and then, there’s a story that stops you and takes your breath away....this was one of those. I loved it! Simply, completely, loved it. I can barely begin to say how much.
From the very beginning I was caught. I was sucked into Kate’s tale and her story and I didn’t want to leave. I finished it in less than two days and when I wasn’t reading it I was thinking about reading it; eager to get back to the story. I love Greek Myth....I always have. There’s something so magical about it that I love, and I think this story was a wonderful example of how amazing and how much fun it can be. Considering this is a début novel, the author has done an incredible job. The story and characters were brilliant.

I loved all the characters....from Kate and Henry, to Ava and James to Kate’s mum and some others. They were all so fabulous and entertaining. They were each so different and unique and I loved seeing them in the story.
I think Kate was just brilliant! She is without a doubt one of the best heroine’s I’ve had the pleasure of following in a long, long time. It’s very rare to find just a wonderful, well rounded character. I think she reacted to things believably and naturally, and she was a wonderful person. She was kind and considerate, while still being strong and brave. I think I can say that she’s now become one of my all time fave heroines—that’s how much I loved her! I have no faults about her what-so-ever and considering that I usually even see tiny faults with the characters I adore, that’s really saying something!

I found I really liked Henry. He wasn’t exactly what I was expecting from Hades, and while I do still feel there is a bit more about him that we don’t know, I think he was a terrific male lead. He was a kind, considerate person, and I think he was a great match for Kate. I really felt for Henry, and his history with Persephone. I like the way the author changed the tale and showed it in a different way, which actually allowed Hades to be the good guy in the picture. There are not a lot of Greek Myth tales where Hade’s is a good guy at all; he’s always the bad guy, and I liked the change in this. I liked the opportunity for him to be an actual person with feelings and a heart....it was wonderful.
The relationship between Henry and Kate was excellent. I really liked how it developed over time and how they got to know one another. It was very sweet and normal, and I never felt like anything was forced. It seemed very natural and I liked that.

I was shocked with the twists and revelations at the end of this book! I can’t believe what came to light and I was gobsmacked to learn just who everyone actually was. I think the author has done an exceptional job here. It was so smart and wonderful....it couldn’t have been better. I can’t think of a better way to have had the ending for this part of Kates journey. The ending of this book has me excited to read the next one and I simply CANNOT WAIT until it comes out!! If it’s anything as good as this one, I can tell straight out that it’s going to be BRILLANT.

This book was so incredible and I deem it a MUST READ!! Like....NOW, people!!

Rating:
Source: First from Netgalley and then from Harlequin Australia (Thanks Gabby!)
Format: Paperback
Recommend: Yes!
Recommend borrow or buy: Buy
Cover: I actually think I like this one more than the US one. There's just something so mesmerizing about it.
Read sequel/continue with series: Yes, defintaely......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo