Thursday, November 10, 2011

Book Shelf: Touch of Power (Avry of Kazan, #1) by Maria V. Snyder


Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Territories, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.

Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life....

Blurb from
Goodreads.....


Review:

Touch of Power will touch the deepest part of you and draw you deep within the world and magic that lingers in its pages! It’ll leave you immersed in the world and characters long after you’ve turned the last page and you’ll be dreading the moment when you have to leave!

Just when I thought I couldn’t love Maria V. Snyder any more than I already do....she goes and writes this! Set in the tradition of her brilliant Study series, Touch of Power marks the start of the captivating new Healers Trilogy by one of the queen’s of fantasy writing! I loved it---loooooved it. Honestly I can’t say it enough. The world within this book is vivid and magical—fantastic in its adventure and action and vibrant in the rich, mythical realm so beautifully crafted by Snyder. Everything I love about Snyder’s writing comes to life once more in this book and couldn’t get enough of it! This thrilling new series will appeal to fans of Poison Study and proves once more why Maria V. Snyder is the best at what she does. The storyline will catch you from the first page and each and every individual you meet as you read the story will endear it to you even more.

In Touch of Power, Snyder introduces us to Avry, a strong willed heroine who can heal anyone with the touch of her hand, drawing their injuries and diseases into herself. Avry is one of those heroines you itch to come across in fiction. She’s outspoken, with a sharp tongue and is unequivocally brave. Despite being on the run, she knows who she is and what she stands for. You can’t help but admire her as you follow her on her thrilling adventure. Avry is a young woman with spirit and fight and you’ll root for her as she faces danger, pain, anguish and must ultimately decide who she trusts and whose side she is on.

I can never fault Snyder’s characterisation. Never! She has an incredible way of creating well-rounded, well thought out characters. The main characters, the ones you’d expect to be full of life and flair practically jump off the page, but the vast array of minor characters also shine as each and every one of them has personality and depth, even at such an early stage in the trilogy. The interactions between Avry and the men who protect and support her on her journey will leave you grinning and chuckling, as Belen, Vinn, Quainn and even Flea all prove to be worthy allies of Avry both verbally and physically. You’ll want more of them, there’s no doubt about that.

Now, I cannot talk about this book or its characters without discussing our leading man and love interest—that just wouldn’t be right of me. And.....Kerrick rocks! I admit it took an ittie bitie bit of time to endear him to me, due to a single indiscretion he makes at the very beginning of the book, but as the novel progressed and our heroes faced even more danger, I fell in love with Kerrick. He’s the kind of male lead that always steals my heart. Strong and brave with a heart somewhat pained; he didn’t let anyone in and was content giving orders and following the mission. He was guarded and didn’t care about anything but saving his prince. Stone cold and stoic, the last thing he was expecting to find was Avry, a feisty Healer who met him order for order, comment and comment. I loved watching them spar together and fight verbally. Their bickering and then slow descent into friendship and ultimately something more was a high point in the story for me. What can I say? I’m a hopeless romantic and Snyder does romance within her books so well. It’s never overbearing; rather a gentle undertone to what is an incredible tale.

Fans of fantasy and Maria V. Snyder alike will devour this book. There isn’t a single moment where this stunning tale doesn’t shine and when you eventually do finish you’ll be praying for more, even as you turn the final page......

Rating:
Source: Sent by Harlequin Teen Australia (I can't say it enough--thanks Gabby!!)
Format: ARC
AU Release Date: January 2012
Expected AU Price: $19.99
Recommend: YES!
Recommend borrow or buy: Buy it!
Cover: The cover(s) for this book are stunning--I love them!
Read sequel/continue with series: Ah...duh! You can't see it, but I'm silently crying because I have to wait for the next book!

5 comments:

  1. Ahhh fantastic review, Rachel!! <3

    I loved Avry and Kerrick's bickering and growing relationship too. I love me some romance and this was done brilliantly! And aw gosh, yes, I LOVE all the characters, the scenes with the gang were my favourite <3 Maria pwns at fantasy. Can we have book 2 NOW, please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brodie!! <3

    Maria always does romance and fantasy brilliantly. She can do no wrong. Erin and I have said it before--you HAVE to ready Poison Study, seriously!
    I know! Book 2 is waaaay to far away. I feel like going and crying in a corner over the heartbreaking wait we have :'(

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think i would love this book^^ i just have to wait to see it published (remembering i love it) and if possible find a way to win it....i will put on my wish list

    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful review, Rachel! :) I've still yet to finish Poison Study but now I'm sure that I'll be to checking this one out because of your review. And I just love Snyder! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. @miki- Yes! Definitely put it on your wish list--it really was fabulous!

    @Sarahbotbonkers: Thanks Sarah! Oh, you so NEED to check this out when it's released. AND finish Poison Study? How can you not have finished it, lol. It's still my fave Snyder book to date, but this is coming in a close second I think =D

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo