Sunday, July 24, 2011

Book Shelf: Born of Shadows (The League #4) by Sherrilyn Kenyon





Just when you think you have it all figured out, life belts you to the ground. And when Caillen discovers a truth he'd never suspected about himself, everything in his life is turned on its head.

Desideria has a secret of her own- one that could end her life if anyone ever learns it. The last thing she expects is to meet a criminal in her sheltered world never mind find herself marooned on a hostile colony with him while his enemies try to kill them both.

And as they struggle to survive, her father's favorite curse resonates. "May you get exactly what you want and live long enough to regret it."

Blurb from Goodreads....


Review:

I literally devoured this book. I simply adore this series and the moment I started reading this book, I pretty much didn’t stop until I was finished. In fact, I read it in less than one day!
I continue to love this world and the characters within. There’s a reason Sherrilyn Kenyon is one of my favourite authors; she constantly manages to create characters that are larger than life and that jump off the page and this book was no exception.
In this book we’re back to the time period where the first two books are set and we continue on a few years after Born of Fire. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed Born of Ice, but I’m glad to be back in this time and not in the future.

It’s impossible not to adore the characters in this series and really feel for them. While I obviously think Caillen and Desideria are brilliant, I love all the supporting characters too. Darling continues to be a fave, and I found I really enjoyed Dancer (Hauk) and Fain in this book. They’re both real pieces of work, but they constantly made me laugh and smile. I liked the new characters of Maris and Chayden, and I’d love to see more of both of them and of course I was ecstatic to see Syn, Shahara and Caillen’s other sisters back. Sherrilyn Kenyon has a brilliant way of bringing back all the characters you love and having them still play roles in the rest of the books. It’s so great falling in love with a couple and then still being able to see them in books down the track.
There’s such a fantastic repour between all the characters in this series. They seem to get along so well, bickering and teasing one another constantly, and yet they stand by each other’s sides constantly. There’s a real sense of friendship that shines through, as it does with all Kenyon’s books, and it’s something that....to me....makes her books so great.

Gah, I loved Caillen. Love, love, loved him! He’s such a brilliant character and a guy a girl can easily love. He’s got a bit of an ego, but he’s decent and honourable, with a quirky sense of humour and a snarky attitude. He’s a real cutie and oh, so adorable at times. He’s the type of guy that you know will go down fighting and who’ll fight to the end. I loved that he never gave up and continuingly managed to get ahead of his enemies. He was a real survivor. One of the things that really endeared him to me was the love and respect he had for his sisters. They literally mean the world to him and there’s nothing he wouldn’t do for them, even at his own expense. That’s real love there and it was so fabulous to find a male character that has a strong, ingrained respect for the women in his life. Sometimes it can be hard to find in novels.
I really liked Desideria too. She was a very likeable heroine and perfectly balanced with a great amount of strength and vulnerability. I think she was a perfect match for Cai and it was nice to see her become more confident as the novel progressed. Not that she started out as weak, not by a long shot. She’s always been a tough gal, but I think she grew and was able to be more of herself throughout the time she knew Caillen, which was soooo nice to see.

I know some people may be upset with the lack of sex in this book and while personally I would have liked to see a little bit more of it, I also don’t feel it detracted from the book. Unlike some couples of the past, Caillen and Desideria didn’t jump straight into bed with one another, nor did they act upon their desires and impulses straight away, instead getting to know each other and to me this made the romance seem more realistic and believable. Theirs was such a nice romance. It was endearing and oh, so sweet. They brought out the best in one another and helped each other learn to trust and love without being afraid of getting hurt.

This book was filled with action and fight sequences galore. There’s enough excitement and humour to keep you on your toes.
The next book in the series, Born Of Silence features Darling Cruel and I'm really looking forward to it. I know there is a lot of talk surrounding Darling and his.....ahhhh....sexual preferences.....at the moment, but I think in the end Sherrilyn Kenyon will deliver in typical Kenyon fashion.....exceptionally, that is.
Cannot wait to get my hands on the next year, but the wait until next April is gonna kill me!


Rating: **** stars
Recommend: Yes!
Did I Buy, Borrow or is it an ARC: Bought
Recommend Buy or Borrow: Buy!
Ebook or Actual Book: Actual Book
Cover: This is actually my fave cover so far in the series. It's simply, but really awesome.
Read sequel/continue with series: Yes, yes, yes....

Buy it here:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book and I can hardly wait for Retribution! It should be interesting getting to know Darling better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto right there! Retribution can't come out fast enough as far as I'm concerned!

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo