Thursday, April 28, 2011

Book Shelf: Crave (Crave #1) by Melinda Metz and Laura J. Burns






Shay has had a rare blood disorder since she was born. In fact, her mother married one of Shay’s doctors, Martin, who left his world-renowned leukemia research to try and figure out exactly what the disorder is and how to cure it. When she turns seventeen, Martin begins to give her new blood transfusions that make her feel the strongest she has ever felt. But she also has odd visions where she sees through the eyes of a vampire.

Blurb from Goodreads....





Review: (Warning, contains spoilers)


I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I picked it up, planning to read a few chapters and before I knew it, it’d devoured the entire thing. I finished it in less than one day. I thought the storyline was fun and interesting. Some parts were slow, but the others, the fast paced exciting moments kept me well entertained and interested. I liked the idea that Gabriel took her hostage after she rescued him, and yet he treated her well, and then fell for her over that timeframe--maybe I’m a strange one, but...moreI thoroughly enjoyed this book. I picked it up, planning to read a few chapters and before I knew it, it’d devoured the entire thing. I finished it in less than one day. I thought the storyline was fun and interesting. Some parts were slow, but the others, the fast paced exciting moments kept me well entertained and interested. I liked the idea that Gabriel took her hostage after she rescued him, and yet he treated her well, and then fell for her over that timeframe--maybe I’m a strange one, but there’s something so romantic about that to me.

I really liked Shay. I thought she was sweet and brave and I loved the inner strength she held. Considering everything she’d been through in her life and all the sickness she’d faced, it’s a miracle that all that hasn’t destroyed her. I can understand why she acted out like she did after getting the transfusions—I can’t possibly understand what it would be like to be constantly sick like that and never treated normal; never living a normal life. Still, I liked the person she was and I thought it was nice of her to stick around and help Gabriel when he wasn’t able to take care of himself.

Hmmm, what can I say about Gabriel? Well, he was sexy and awesome and kind and fierce and well, a very true vampire. I admit that I couldn’t help but see similarities between the vampires in this book and with the ones in Twilight. I really hate to compare books, but they were similar there was no denying that, and yet I still liked Gabriel...no....I loved Gabriel. He is the type of male character I enjoy and I thought the way he reacted to being held prisoner was realistic and normal. Really, who wouldn’t want revenge? I thought it was very sweet that he ended up falling for Shay and that she meant more to him than his revenge against Martin.

I actually liked the end of this book. It was a great little twist to have Shay end up being Sam’s daughter and I do wonder what this means for her now. Will she have to continue feeding off Gabriel’s blood forever, or will she become a vampire herself? It would certainly be a solution to her sickness.
The fact that Gabriel’s family reacted the way they did to her was horrible, although not all too surprising considering how they feel about humans. The very ending left me hungry for more. What a way to end it--lord, I hate cliff-hangers sometimes and I can’t wait for the next book.
Bring it on!


Rating: **** stars
Recommend: Yes
Did I Buy, Borrow or is it an ARC: Bought
Recommend Buy or Borrow: Buy
Ebook or Actual Book: Actual Book
Cover: Love it! It's stunning!
Read sequel/continue with series: Yes


Buy it here:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo