Thursday, May 19, 2011

Book Shelf: Give Up the Ghost by Megan Crewe




Cass McKenna much prefers ghosts over “breathers.” Ghosts are uncomplicated and dependable, and they know the dirt on everybody…and Cass loves dirt. She’s on a mission to expose the dirty secrets of the poseurs in her school.

But when the vice president of the student council discovers her secret, Cass’s whole scheme hangs in the balance. Tim wants her to help him contact his recently deceased mother, and Cass reluctantly agrees.

As Cass becomes increasingly entwined in Tim’s life, she’s surprised to realize he’s not so bad—and he needs help more desperately than anyone else suspects. Maybe it’s time to give the living another chance.

Blurb from Goodreads.....


Review: (Warning, contains spoilers)

I’ve been waiting to read this book since before it was released and after waiting so long to read this book, I wanted to love it, but I didn’t. In fact, I find it hard to say I even liked it. Was it alright? Yes. Was it worth reading? Yeah, maybe. Was it brilliant? No, not at all. Actually most of the time I found myself too annoyed with the two main characters to enjoy the storyline at all or plot.

Cass was so frustrating. She saw nothing in people, wanted nothing to do with them and spent all her time trying to make their lives miserably by spilling their secrets. These were horrible people, your typical popular crowed, but really how low must one person be to allow them to have that kind of focus in her life. Sure, she said she didn’t care about them, and blah, blah, blah....but actions speak louder than worlds. I know as the heroine we were supposed to feel sorry for he having lost her sister, and her messed up family and her seeing ghosts and being an outcasts and people picking on her and all, but I just didn’t. It’s too much when the only thing you see about a character is an angry girl with personality issues.

As for Tim, gah! Could the guy get any more annoying? He was your typical popular, golden guy and yet he had no personality what-so-ever. The only thing that seemed to define him as a person was his sadness over his mother’s death. I’m not being cruel here, I understand why a person would grieve and feel the way he did, but he was a jerk, plain and simple. I admit he had a moment or two where he was okay, but I never saw what Cass saw in him. All he did was sulk and throw temper tantrums when he didn’t get his way. He treated Cass horrible when she wouldn’t do what he asked and I just don’t understand why she’d want to be his friend after all that. Honestly, I never even saw a moment where he really redeemed himself in my eyes.

I’m so disappointed in this book. The idea was good. I’m a sucker for a good ghost story, through and through, but this was just a disappointment for me on so many levels. It wasn’t even a real “ghost story”. The supernatural aspect took a back seat to everything else and while sometimes that works in books for me it just fell flat here. I wonder if maybe I expected too much going into this book, because let’s face it....I thought it was going to be excellent, but in the end I still feel like this story was just lacking.


Rating: ** stars
Recommend: No
Did I Buy, Borrow or is it an ARC: Bought
Recommend Buy or Borrow: Borrow
Ebook or Actual Book: Actual Book
Cover: I do actually like the cover. That's the only thing I really liked about the book.
Read sequel/continue with series: This is a stand alone book.

Buy it here:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo