Thursday, May 26, 2011

Book Shelf: Winter's Shadow by M.J. Hearle




Blake Duchamp...

He's all that Winter Adams can think of. Ever since their fateful meeting at Pilgrim's Lament. Ever since he looked at her with those emerald eyes. Ever since he saved her life.

But Blake isn't all that he seems. There is a strangeness about him, something dark and otherworldly. Something dangerous. In his attic is a secret he would kill to defend, but Winter seems to have a special ability to make him forget his duty. And he is her only protection against the gathering darkness.

The only problem is, to protect Winter, Blake must risk exposing her to an even greater danger. Himself

Blurb from Goodreads....


Review:

I loved this book. It drew me in and I couldn’t stop reading--I had to know what was going on!
This is a hauntingly beautiful debut. Author M. J. Hearle weaves together a stunning gothic tale that mesmerised me and captivated me from the beginning.
While I’ll be the first to admit the story starts out slow, weaving together and setting the story up, it’s in no way boring or uninteresting. The mystery and little bits and pieces that are thrown in here and there keep you entertained and eager to know what truly is going on. The idea of this story and the theme of the plotline are unique and not like a lot of books out there--the story is eerie and exciting at the same time.

Hearle writes beautifully. His writing flows and paints a dark picture that is beautiful. I admit I was a tad worried going into this book. Sometimes I find that male writers never really capture the essence of the heroine when their lead character is female. And yet Hearle has no problems here what-so-ever. I honestly loved Winter. He’s written her perfectly, making her easy to emphasise with and with a feminine voice. She was a terrific heroine, everything I could have asked for in this tale; realistic and normal, and yet brave and interesting--exactly what you need in these kind of supernatural tales. She reacted how I expect a normal person would when thrust into this kind of world making her someone that you actually enjoy following along on her journey.
As for Blake, well he was intriguing to say the least. One of the things I actually enjoyed so much about this book was the mystery surrounding Blake. Throughout the majority of the tale we never know exactly what Blake is or who he is---we simply know he’s different and that he draws Winter who can’t deny he’s like no one she’s ever known. Blake was a very haunted young man, with many a secret. He was mysterious and it was impossible not to feel the drawl he had that Winter felt.

I only have one issue with this book, and it’s one that tends to impact on my feelings about a lot of books, especially paranormal YA. I’m not the biggest fan of the quick lust/desire-at-fist-sight, I-need-you-from-the-very-beginning type of romance. It’s impossible not to see, and feel, the passion in this book. It saturates the pages and heightens the emotions, however the characters barely know one another. Taking place over the course of a week, is it really possible to feel that deeply about a person so soon? I must say however that Hearle doesn’t rely on this and place such a big importance on this as other writers do. It’s there, it is, but it’s not there to the same extent as I have seen a lot in the past. It’s not sickening (thank god) and it didn’t bother me as much as it normally would, seeing as the brilliance of this novel made up for it.

This book is a tantalizing read with a great range of characters from the main two, Winter and Blake, to the few others that help to give the book flavour and difference. The ending is gripping and exciting and I could not stop reading! I needed to know what was going to happen next and the last few chapters had me needing the second, yet to be named book, stat!
This book will entice you and draw you in and I recommend it to fans of the gothic and paranormal alike!


Rating: **** stars
Recommend: Yes
Did I Buy, Borrow or is it an ARC: ARC from Pan Macmillian Australia (Thank-you)
Release date: June 1st 2011
Recommend Buy or Borrow: Buy
Ebook or Actual Book: Actual Book
Cover: It's so pretty. I love the way her hair stands out--so nice!
Read sequel/continue with series:
Yes

Pre-order it here:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

1 comment:

  1. Wow this sounds really good, thanks for sharing your thoughts on it. I think I'll have to check this one out and maybe add it to my pile. :)

    ~ Sarah ♥ I'm Loving Books

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo