Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Book Shelf: Starcrossed (Starcrossed #1) by Josephine Angelini




How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.

As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.

Blurb from Goodreads....


Review: (Warning, contains spoilers)

Gah! I just finished this book and I don’t know if I want to scream or cry! I was so frustrated by the ending and revelations of this book. I don’t remember being this upset since the famous Clary-and-Jace-are-siblings revelation of The Mortal Instruments series. And just knowing the truth and what it all means just makes me madder. I was devastated by what we learned and was told---there’s no other way to describe it and I wanted to cry out in frustration.
This book was incredible! Really, truly. It’s very rare to find a book that manages to draw such a range of emotions from me. Josephine Angelini has created something amazing right here. I went through excitement, happiness, frustration, happiness again, shock, surprise, sadness and finally devastation.....devastation at how this book ended.
I thought it was brilliant how she took the idea of demigods and Greek Myth and gave it a twist and direction that I’ve never seen before! There is nothing out there like this!
The storyline was marvellous. I was drawn in from the very first page by the characters and the idea and I just didn’t want to stop reading. The idea of the modern day tragedy is alluring and appealing. You know it’s going to lead to heartbreak, and yet you keep reading regardless--I love that!

This book had a great cast of characters, Helen and Lucas obviously, but Hector, Jason, Arianne, Cassandra, Claire were all big draws for me. I love nothing more than when there’s a great family dynamic within a book and this one sure had that!
I admit I had my issues with Helen at the very beginning of this book. Although I thought she was a cool gal there was just something about he that didn’t sit right with me. BUT as the story went on, I came to really love her. There’s no denying she had her issues though. She had no idea who she was and she wanted to kill Lucas, which is a big no, no in my eyes, because....let’s face it, he’s Lucas (insert dreamy sigh here). I thought it was really nice to see how she approached everything and I never felt like she accepted things too easily, like I sometimes do in books. I think there’s a lot in her though that could be subject to some growth in the next couple of books and I honestly look forward to seeing it.
As for Mr. Lucas Delos....what can I say about him besides, “squeee”. Loved the guy! First I have to say that he reminded me of a certain vampire we all know *cough* Edward Cullen *cough* but not in a way that occasionally annoys me like in other books. I think he was similar in the way that they had the same personality traits and all, but Lucas had his own individual personality too. Lucas knew who is was and what he couldn’t do. Sure he fought it and sure....he lost the fight with himself, but he still saw the consequences and was willing to fight for Helen---gotta love a man like that! He was wicked, with a sense of humour too and a serious side that just captivated me.

I thought the romance between Helen and Lucas was beautiful. For once it wasn’t one of those love-at-first-sight tales you always see. It was more hate-at-first-sight or kill-him-at-first-sight! Their relationship grew with time and wasn’t in your face from the very beginning. It changed gradually and altered as they got to know each other and as they were drawn together. There was a chemistry and a spark between them and I can’t wait to see how their relationship continues over the course of the series. Especially after the revelation that we shall never speak of..... *sob*
I must say I adore Hector! For all his faults he’s one of my faves in this series and he’s got a special place in my heart. I love his mischievousness and his sometimes meanness (so what? He rocks anyway) and I hate what happened to him—he does not deserve what he’s going through.
Claire and Jason cracked me up too. Seriously, like you can’t tell straight away what all their bickering means and where it’s heading--so cute! Can’t wait to see more of them, they’re gonna be firecrackers those two, I can totally see it.

DAPHNE!!!! Grrrr! Sooo not liking that woman. After what she’s done and continues to do, I’d like nothing more than to beat her senseless (I know! Where does this violence come from inside me, I have no idea?”) and I’m wondering just what she’s gonna do next. She wants to play nice and all that, but I don’t trust her at all. And if Helen doesn’t well, then I don’t see how anyone can.
Lots of surprises towards the end of this book. This chapter of the story seems like it’s been summed up, what with Creon killed and everything out in the open (kinda).

I am, and will continue to root for Helen and Lucas all the way through. It’s just not fair that they found each other and can’t be together. Seems like everywhere you turn nowadays in the book world are a pair of star crossed lovers, but there hasn’t been a couple like this for a while.
Josephine Angelini debut novel is beautiful, capturing and incredible. It’s a story you start and don’t want to stop.
I have no issues what-so-ever with this books, except that technically it’s not even out yet and I’m DYING for the sequel already. I cannot wait until Dreamless and I recommend this book with my heart and soul!


Rating: ***** stars
Recommend: Yes!
Did I Buy, Borrow or is it an ARC: ARC from Netgalley
Recommend Buy or Borrow: Buy
Ebook or Actual Book: Ebook
Cover: It's so pretty. It's flowy and stunning
Read sequel/continue with series: YES!


Pre-order it here:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo