Saturday, May 14, 2011

Book Shelf: Dirty Blood by Heather Hildenbrand






I killed a girl last night. I did it with my bare hands and an old piece of pipe I found lying next to the dumpster. But that’s not the part that got me. The part that scared me, the part I can’t seem to wrap my head around and still has me reeling, was that when she charged me, her body shifted – and then she was a wolf. All snapping teeth and extended claws. But by the time I stood over her lifeless body, she was a girl again. That’s about the time I went into shock… And that was the moment he showed up.

Now, all I can do is accept the truths that are staring me in the face. One, Werewolves do exist. And Two, I was born to kill them.

Blurb from Goodreads....


Review: (Warning, contains spoilers)


Alright, first a thank-you goes out to Heather Hildenbrand herself, who sent me and e-copy of this book to read and review. Thank-you so much, I’m very grateful.**

Alright, now my thoughts.....I actually really enjoyed this book. I ended up reading it in one go. The story was face paced and interesting and kept me entertained all the way through but I couldn’t help but see similarities with it and a certain vampire novel I’m sure we’ve all read. I try not to compare books with Twilight, because I like to think that they’re all different, and while the plot and idea of this was completely different, I couldn’t help but think that some of the characters and even the individual scenes were too much the same for my taste. Certain things that happened and even Wes himself, who reminded me of Edward and his never ending worry fuelled nature made my mind flick back and forth.

However when I pushed those thoughts aside, I found it really easy to get into the story. It was filled with a range of characters, Tara, Wes, Jack, Fee, Cord, Tara’s mum, Bailey and even Tara’s Grandmother who were quirky, and kind with also being fierce and tough. Hildenbrand has created a rich world and an interesting storyline, one that draws you in and entertains.
Tara was a very somewhat reluctant hero, but who can blame her when it seemed like she was kept outta the loop with practically everything. And let’s not forget that everyone seemed to be so concerned with protecting her that they kept her in the dark about some things she really should have been aware of. I can understand why she’d be frustrated and angry. Regardless thought she was a wonderful gal, who stepped up when she needed too. She was emotional at times and very human in that way—she’s a teenage girl at her very heart, despite all the specialness of what she is, and she acted accordingly.

Alright, so I thought Wes was yummy. Who can blame me? He was very suave and yet had that right amount of wickedness that I love. Wes is a silent character and often finds himself in situations where he doesn’t know what to do. He loves Tara, and yet his honourable and protective nature makes him want to take care of her above everything.
The chemistry between he and Tara was there from the beginning and even before you lean what they both are (Dirty Bloods) you know straight away that they’re gonna fall for one another. I admit I do feel for Tara in this book. She and Wes both love one another, but he worries more about keeping her safe and protecting her than keeping her happy and not breaking her heart. Obviously he never means or likes hurting her, but that’s what he does in an effort to keep her safe. Tara is a slight firecracker in this retrospect as she’s not afraid to stand up to him and tell her what she thinks of this, although it never really changes Wes’s mind.

Similarities aside, this was a fun, intriguing book filled with suspense and mystery. The very first chapter draws you in and doesn’t let go. I’m personally looking forward to the second book, Cold Blood and recommend this for anyone who is a fan of werewolf tales.....

Rating: **** stars
Recommend: Yes
Did I Buy, Borrow or is it an ARC: Sent to me by the fabulous author
Recommend Buy or Borrow: Buy
Ebook or Actual Book: Ebook
Cover: It's alright.
Read sequel/continue with series: Yes

Buy it from smashwords here:
http://www.smashwords.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo