Thursday, May 5, 2011

Book Shelf: Desire Unchained (Demonica #2) by Larissa Ione




Pleasure is their ultimate weapon . . .
Runa Wagner never meant to fall in love with the sexy stranger who seemed to know her every deepest desire. But she couldn't resist the unbelievable passion that burned between them, a passion that died when she discovered his betrayal and found herself forever changed. Now, determined to make Shade pay for the transformation that haunts her, Runa searches for him, only to be taken prisoner by his darkest enemy.


A Seminus Demon with a love-curse that threatens him with eternal torment, Shade hoped he'd seen the last of Runa and her irresistible charm. But when he wakes up in a dank dungeon chained next to an enraged and mysteriously powerful Runa, he realizes that her effect on him is more dangerous than ever.


As their captor casts a spell that bonds them as lifemates, Shade and Runa must fight for their lives and their hearts-or succumb to a madman's evil plans.

Blurb taken from Goodreads....


Review: (Warning, contains spoilers)

Seriously, I have such mixed feelings about this series. On one hand I really hate it and no another I really love it. Considering I’m a fan of J.R. Wards Black Dagger Brotherhood, you’d think the darkness and grittiness wouldn’t get to me and yet it does. There’s something about this series and the characters sometimes that I just don’t like. And yet there are moments....moments when I truly love the characters and what’s happening.

I found it really difficult to get into this book at first, seeing as I disliked both Runa and Shade so much in the beginning. Okay, let’s look at Runa. In the beginning she was a whinny, pathetic kind of woman who you discover screwed Shade in an alleyway moments after meeting him, simply because she wanted to do something impulsive. Ahhh, hello? Go bungie jumping, get a tattoo, don’t screw a stranger simply because you’re bored of your pathetic life. Jeez! It annoyed me to no end that he’d cheated on her, and without remorse I might add, and yet she still cared about him and was willing to “be” with him again. I’m sorry, but I find it difficult to respect and like a woman who doesn’t respect herself.
As for Shade....he was a freakin’ jerk in the beginning of the book! Alright, I understand what he is. He’s a Seamus demon and he needs sex to survive. He’ll sleep with anything female and in his eyes he wasn’t doing anything wrong being with not one, but two other women at the same time because it’s in his nature, but that’s just not cool in my eyes. I felt like he was insensitive for Runa’s feelings and he didn’t really care about her.
And yet he did.....

Grr. I’m so messed up with my thoughts over these two characters, because they grew so much, which I kinda guess is the point, that they seemed like two completely different people than the ones I met in the beginning of the book. I found it near impossible to compare them with the Runa and Shade they were at the beginning of the book.
I actually didn’t mind them too much as the story drew on, although I’d be lying if I didn’t admit there were still a few moments when I thought they were both morons.
Runa actually gained strength, and while I can’t fathom how she’s able to forgive Shade for hurting her how he did, she did actually managed to move on from everything. I understand Shade was afraid to fall in love because of the curse and perhaps that’s why he was such a jerk, but when he and Runa bonded and he actually started to care and protect her, he didn’t seem like too much of a bad guy.
It was almost like they had a completly fresh start. They were alright together and I am actually happy that they’re having babies—I think that’s sweet.

You know the things I love most about this series? Or should I say people---Wraith, Gem and Kyran. In all honesty it’s these three that have got me continuing on with this series. Without them I may have given up on this book
I love Gem and Kynan. They’re two of the best characters in this series and I love the strange relationship they have. Gem is a sweetie, straight up. Goth or no goth, demon or no demon.....she is one awesome woman. Kynan has been through a lot and considering all the things Lori put him through I can understand why he’s acting the way he is. Throughout this whole book I wanted him to pull his head on straight and just realise that Gem is the one for him already. When they had sex together (if you can really call it that) it was a mess and then when he finally does admit that he wants to be with her he gets pulled away because he’s descended from some sort of angel. Honestly, that’s just not fair. I love his friendship with Wraith. They’re actually friends and it’s nice to see Kynan see demons in a whole different light than how he did in the first book.

I LOVE Wraith. I hate the way he seems to be so messed up and how everyone seems to think the worst of him. There’s no way he’s as bad as everyone seems to think. He loves his brothers and I think he’s do anything for them—that’s not the actions of a man who doesn’t give a damn about anything. He was willing to take Shade’s curse from him simply because he wanted his bother not to suffer---what’s that saying about the guy? Plus...the way he seems to like Kynan too shows that he’s not some kind of monster. He’s the best part of this series so far, no matter what anyone says and thinks and I cannot wait to read his book.
I’m sure it’s going to be the best one of them all!


Rating: *** stars
Recommend: Yes
Did I Buy, Borrow or is it an ARC: Bought
Recommend Buy or Borrow: Borrow
Ebook or Actual Book:
Actual Book
Cover: It's not too bad....
Read sequel/continue with series: Yes

Buy it here:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

2 comments:

  1. Larissa writes the best books!!! Have you gotten to Eternal Rider yet??? OMG! Poor Wraith is very complicated yes......but you're right. He does love his brothers. He just didn't think he was deserving of being loved by someone or that someone could love him -- thanks to his wonderful (bleh) mother!!!

    He's one of my favorite characters!
    I love your blog, by the way!
    blazesandbubbles AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying this series, although in all honesty it's not my fave of these types of books. Black Dagger Brotherhood and Dark Hunter still hold my heart, but I am enjoying it.
    I've just finished Wraiths book, and it was by far the best so far!

    Thank-you, that's very kind of you =)

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo