Monday, October 3, 2011

Book Shelf: Vampire Wake (Book Two) The Kiera Hudson Series


Since escaping from the Ragged Cove and finding herself suspended from the Force, Kiera Hudson is hired by the mysterious Lady Hunt to protect her sixteen-year-old daughter Kayla, from the stranger who lurks on the moors. But little does Kiera know that it is she who is really in need of protection.

Arriving at Hallowed Manor on the desolate Welsh moors, Kiera soon realises that the vampires that she has been ‘seeing’ are not the stuff of her nightmares, but are very real and closing in.

If Kiera is to escape the vampires that hunt her, she will have to discover the true identity of the bandaged man, the secret of the children’s graveyard hidden beneath the weeping willows and who or what is hiding in the ‘forbidden’ wing at Hallowed Manor…

Blurb from
Goodreads.....


Review:

Tim O’Rourke has done it again! While Vampire Shift catapulted me into this unique world of vampires and mystery, Vampire Wake expands it and took me on a whole new adventure. Continuing on only 6 months after where the first book left off, Kiera is again facing off against rogue vampyrus and dealing with a new kind of mystery. Vampire Wake and even the entire Keira Hudson Trilogy are very underrated self published books—really more people should give this book and series a try, they won’t be sorry. O’Rourke’s writing is descriptive and flawless and he really has a knack for writing mysteriously captivating tales.

The story flows in its detailed and well written way, with everything fitting together perfectly. It’s impossible not to “feel” the story with all its rich darkness and intrigue. There’s always a question hanging over your heard and it never feels like it’s that way simply to be; this is how the story grows and evolves. Honestly, I have no faults with this book; it was a perfect sequel to what is a very exciting series and it did not disappoint!

How I love Kiera! She’s one of those fantastic, well rounded heroines that you just don’t see enough of nowadays in fiction, especially this kind of fiction. Unlike a lot of heroines that I won’t name, never once does Kiera grate on your nerves or annoy you. She’s a fabulously written character and never once have I had an issue with the way O’Rourke writes her. He knows Kiera, simple as that. She’s an incredibly well developed character and he writes as though she’s an extension of himself. Kiera questions things (including her own sanity at times, lol) and never takes things at face value. She’s not afraid to push the boundaries and take on new challenges. She “sees” things that others don’t and I loved learning of the change in Kiera and her abilities in this book. She’s growing and changing and facing her own challenges within herself and I loved learning of the implications of all this and what it means! Straight out, this girl rocks and!

Of course I love all the other characters too and the fabulous new ones that Tim O’Rourke has been introducing. They’re all essential to the story, but still manage to make it that much more real.
I’ve always loved Potter, but I have to say, I never saw the Luke/Kiera/Potter thing coming and I’m not quite sure how I feel about it. I really love Luke and Kiera together; they just seem to work.......but it’s Potter. Potter! How can he be my fave character and I not want him to end up with the girl. Oh, I just don’t know. Ever since the last book, I’ve been a strong Luke and Kiera supporter, maybe because I didn’t know there could possibly be another option, but now....when Luke and Keira are together it just seems so right, but then the moment when she considers Potter I get all squishy inside and excited about the prospect of them being together. Potter’s such a jerk at times, but you can so see there’s something so good in him when he does things sometime that just seem so un-Potter. I think he could fall deeply in love with Keira, and she with him, if she lets him and I just don’t know what this means for Luke. Guess, I’ll just have to wait and see with the next book!

During this book we find the answers to some questions left over from the first book, but more than a few created in this book too. Some harrowing discoveries about Keira, her past and just who she is comes to light; the implications I’m not all that sure. Obviously, I don’t want to give anything away, but there are some big revelations in this book and the ending leaves you wanting to pull you hair about because you don’t want to shop reading. Really? A Cliff-hanger like that? Not nice Tim....

Can’t wait for the last book and conclusion of the Trilogy—I have a feeling it’s going to be explosive!

Rating:
Source: Sent to me from the very generous author himself, Tim O'Rourke!
Format: Kindle ebook
Recommend: Yes
Recommend borrow or buy: Buy
Cover: Love it! The cover's in this series are awesome; I love them.
Read sequel/continue with series: Yes

Get it from Amazon here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo