Friday, July 1, 2011

Book Shelf: Vampire Shift (Book One) The Kiera Hudson Trilogy





When twenty-year-old police recruit Kiera Hudson is posted to the remote town of The Ragged Cove, her life is changed forever. Investigating a series of horrific murders, grave desecrations and missing persons, with her unique ability of 'seeing', Kiera soon realises her life is in danger. But when Kiera falls in love with Police officer Luke Bishop, not only is her mind and her heart opened to a terrifying new world, she comes to suspect that Luke might be involved in the killings. In a race against time to unearth the truth, Kiera must discover the identity of who or what is behind the gruesome deaths on the 'Vampire Shift'.

Blurb from Goodreads.....


Review:

First, I'd like to thank the author for sending me this for review.

The book was dark and mysterious and a fantastic read. Tim O’Rourke’s version of “vampires” in this book was very unique. Obviously, I don’t want to spoil the surprise for anyone planning on reading the book, but it certainly wasn’t something I’d heard before. And yet it went really well with the story and I didn’t feel like I was reading something I’d heard a thousand times. This book was surrounded in mystery. I never quite knew what was going on and every now and then when I thought I did...BAM....something else would happen and all my thoughts and conclusions would be thrown out the window. It was very intense, but I found I liked it and it kept me reading—eager to know what was going on.

I really liked Keira. Her “gift” made thing interesting and I’m still eager to know more about it. At its base it’s a very instinct based gift, but all things considered in this book, I think it’s potentially going to be important and have a bigger purpose as the trilogy continues. Keira was a real go-getter. Fresh out of the academy, but eager and confidant in what she was doing. She missed nothing, picking up and seeing this most others wouldn’t notice. Nothing escaped her notice and she put two and two together so well. She was such a great all round character, and I generally wanted the best for her in this book; she was someone I enjoyed following on her tale.

Oh, how I hated Murphy and Potter in the beginning. Honestly, the way they treated Keira at first and their attitudes towards police work made me wanna sock it to them! They seemed to be nothing but cruel jerks yet in the end I was surprised by the people they actually turned out to be. Potter’s still an arrogant jerk, but there’s something about him, and it may have to do with what he does for Keira at the very end of the book (not saying what) that makes me think there’s more to him.
I don’t necessarily feel like the relationship between Keira and Luke was rushed, because in most ways it wasn’t. There was a connection between them that they both felt and they were attracted to one another, but occasionally I’d feel like certain things between them were a tad forced. I’m also not quite sure that the feelings of “love” between them are plausible. They didn’t know each other well enough to feel that way, nor it they really spend that much time together. Like and lust I’d totally believe is accurate, but maybe not love. Still, I think my feelings about that could change in future books. They defiantly have the potential to have something really real and I’ll be watching for that in the rest of the trilogy.

Vampire Shift is an edgy tale full of suspense and mystery. The storyline is engaging and the characters interesting. This is a great start to a fantastic new series, and with so many questions left at the end, I for one can’t wait for the second instalment!

Rating: **** stars
Recommend: Yes
Did I Buy, Borrow or is it an ARC: Sent to me by the author
Recommend Buy or Borrow: Buy
Ebook or Actual Book: Ebook
Cover: Love, love, love it! This has got to be one of my all time fave covers
Read sequel/continue with series: Yes

Download it from Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Vampire-Shift-Hudson-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B0057Q23DO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&m=A24IB90LPZJ0BS&s=digital-text&qid=1309476570&sr=1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo