Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Book Shelf: Forsaken (The Demon Trappers #1) by Jana Oliver





Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself – and that’s exactly what the demons are counting on...

Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper, Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps. The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta’s local Trappers’ Guild needs all the help they can get – even from a girl. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils – Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life’s about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen.

But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood. And, as if that wasn’t bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers’ Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart – and her life?

Blurb from Goodreads....


Review:

In all honesty, it took me a little while to get into this book. Not quite sure why, but from about half way on I really loved it. I didn’t want to put it down at times which is saying something.
The world within this book was a very different one than what I was expecting. It reminds me a bit like the old west meets modern day America, which is interesting, if not a tad confusing as times. While I did like the world, at times I felt like things could have been explained a tad better. I wished Jana Oliver had explained a bit more of the history in this book. Demons and demon trapping was a very open thing in this book, it wasn’t something that was hidden and civilians knew all about demons. This surprised me a bit. I’m so used to paranormal worlds being hidden from the rest of society in YA tales, that it was a refreshing thing to have this not be the case. The demons were unique and I think the types and kinds are fascinating. It is obvious that the author has put relatively a lot of thought into her world.

I liked most of the characters in this book. I think they all have great potential, including our heroine Riley. I did in fact like Riley in this book. I think she’s young and inexperienced and still has a lot to learn, but she’s feisty and has spirit. She’s relatively normal, despite all the pain and tragedy that she’s currently dealing with, but she’s strong enough to keep going. I can see her growing a lot in this series and it’s something I’m looking forward to seeing.

While I think Riley is a bit spoiled for choice, with not one, not two, but potentially three guys vying for her attention, I have to say that as much as I liked Simon and the mysterious Ori, it’s Beck that absolutely stole my heart in this book!
He’s a little rough around the edges and he’s constant “ya’s” were driving me up the wall (I hate it when characters constantly use that kind of slang....it wears on my nerves) but I think that Beck is a real sweetie and is easily my fave character already. He intrigues me; like a mystery I have to solve. The whole time I was reading this book, I found myself analysing his actions; why did he do this? Why doesn’t he want Riley to know that? Even with all the chapters in his POV and the constant glimpses into his head, he’s still a bit of a mystery to me. Everything he does tends to portray a different message than what he’s actually thinking and feeling and I love that! He’s such a complex character, who’s more than Riley and everyone thinks he is and I neeeed more of him!

There were some big events throughout this book and a lot of questions left for me to ponder, which I’m actually happy about. I love the possibilities for this series and of course I’m looking forward to seeing the characters back for the second book.

Rating: **** stars
Recommend: Yes
Did I Buy, Borrow or is it an ARC: Sent by Pan Macmillan. (Thanks guys!)
Recommend Buy or Borrow: Buy
Ebook or Actual Book: Actual Book
Cover: I actually like this cover better than the US version
Read sequel/continue with series: Yes

Buy it here:

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo