Thursday, April 7, 2011

Book Shelf: The Darkest Secret (Lords of the Underworld, #7)



Keeper of the demon of Secrets, Amun can manipulate the darkest thoughts of anyone nearby. But when new demons possess him, the immortal warrior must be chained and isolated to protect those he loves. Death is his only hope of release—until he meets Haidee, a fellow prisoner whose beauty and hidden vulnerability draw him into a reckless test of his loyalty…

Haidee
is an infamous demon assassin, raised to despise Amun’s kind. Yet how can she hate the man whose touch sets her aflame? But to save him, she must give herself body and soul…and face the wrath of a powerful adversary sworn to destroy her.

Blurb from Goodreads.....



Review: (WARNING: Heavy Spoilers)

This book was easily as good as the others. I admit I wasn’t sure what we’d get going into this book. I was a tad surprised when I learned a while back that Haidee would be Amun’s love interest. That’s not to say I wasn’t extremely excited and intrigued, but I did wonder how they would come to fall for one another considering their history and that she’d played such a large role in killing his good friend and brother Baden. And yet Gena Showalter not only pulled it off, but she created a fantastic tale! She took two people, seemingly enemies and found a way to have them to fall in love gradually over time, in a way I found realistic and sweet.

I liked the storyline and I loved getting a glimpse into Amun and his world. He goes through so much and yet he’s still so kind and noble. When the last book, The Darkest Lie, ended, I honestly thought that Haidee may have gone on to be Strider’s true love, so throwing her in with Amun was excellent. I felt like the way the story was written, it wasn’t as though they were enemies who the author had to have fall for one another and spend time together for no reason—there was a real purpose to their feelings and a reason for why they were drawn together and why they needed one another the way they did.

I liked Amun. I admit he’s still not one of my top Lords (those spots are reserved for Torin, Stridey, Sabin and Gideon) but I honestly felt like I got to know him a lot more in this book and he forged himself a special place in my heart. He was so much more complex than I thought, and a lot tougher than he’s come across in previous books. Having always been the silent one, I wasn’t expecting the fierce nature he housed and the bravery he had, not to mention he strong love and loyalty he had for his brothers. He loves them more than his own life and it was so nice to see.

I was actually surprise how much I loved Haidee. I didn't think I'd like her seeing as she was a hunter and wanted to kill the Lords. I was shocked by the character she was. She was so much more real, and vulnerable than she came across....at least with Amun. With Strider especially and everyone else, she continued to be fierce and fearless, willing to fight until the end and yet with Amun, he somehow managed to breach all those defences she had and worm his way into her heart. I thought it was really great that she honestly began to see things differently and that he opinions in general changed. Haidee allowed Amun to show her that there was more to demons than she’d believed. She was sympathetic too. She sympathised with Amun and everything he’d been through, not blaming him for his past actions, like you would sometimes expect a person too. I felt she was honourable, and decent; a nice heroine, more than the Lords even thought she was and a nice match for Amun.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t shocked that Strider is going to end up with Kaia. Until the premise for The Darkest Surrender was announced, I never saw that coming. Strider and Kaia hadn’t interacted all too much, and considering that she’s slept with Paris, I didn’t think she’d be the one for Strider. And yet, I like her. I’ve liked her ever since Aeron’s book when she stood up for Olivia staying and gave her the make-over. She seems like a tough gal, and real challenge for Strider and I can’t help but think that the two of them would be one hell of a deadly combination.

It’s going to KILL me to wait until October for the next book. I honestly don’t know how I’m going to do it. I loved the parts between the two of them in this book and I think that theirs is going to be very interesting. With the little warning Kaia gave Amun at the end of this book, it’s clear that her feelings for Strider are already starting to take shape (or already have). We know Strider is attracted to her and yet he doesn’t want to go there, however Kaia strikes me as the kind of girl who gets what she wants....and I’m pretty sure what she wants is Strider.

Bring it on!!!

Rating:
**** stars
Recommend:
Yes!
Did I Buy, Borrow or is it an ARC:
Bought!
Recommend Buy or Borrow:
Buy
Ebook
or Actual Book:
Actual
Cover:
Yummy =)
Read sequel/continue with series:
Lords, yes! (Pun totally intended!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo