Thursday, April 14, 2011

Book Shelf: Pleasure Unbound (Demonica #1) by Larissa Ione




In a place where ecstasy can cost you your life . . .
She's a demon-slayer who hungers for sensual pleasure-but fears it will always be denied her. Until Tayla Mancuso lands in a hospital run by demons in disguise, and the head doctor, Eidolon, makes her body burn with unslakable desire. But to prove her ultimate loyalty to her peers, she must betray the surgeon who saved her life.

Two lovers will dare to risk all.

Eidolon cannot resist this fiery, dangerous woman who fills him with both rage and passion. Not only is she his avowed enemy, but she could very well be the hunter who has been preying upon his people. Torn between his need for the truth and his quest to find his perfect mate before a horrific transformation claims him forever, Eidolon will dare the unthinkable-and let Tayla possess him, body and soul...

Blurb thanks to Goodreads....

Review: (Warning, contains spoilers)

At first I wasn’t quite sure if I actually liked this book or not. I’ve read a lot of similar books, J.R Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood, Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Dark Hunter and Gena Showalter’s Lords of the Underworld series, but there was something about this book that turned me off in the beginning whereas none of those books did. I disliked how quickly the two main characters slept together, they didn’t even know one another’s name, had never had a conversation and yet they were happy to screw one another simply because they felt like it. There was just something--and I can’t really put my finger on that I disliked, however as the story went on I found I enjoyed it more and more.
The world that Larissa Ione has created is interesting. I love the intricate demon world and the way everything goes together. Having it based in a hospital was cool. It was kinda like Greys Anatomy meets Buffy with extra sex and gore.

The storyline was pretty good and I loved Eidolon. Despite his demon heritage and nature, he’s truly a good, honourable man, with a wicked side mixed in. He knows the difference between right and wrong and he acts accordingly. He doesn’t go out to harm people, and yet he does whatever is necessarily to protect those he cares about and himself. Yes, he’s dark and gritty, but there’s something sexy about that to me.
The real issue I found I had with this book was actually Tayla.... I hated her. Okay, perhaps hated is a bit too strong, but for the most part I certainly disliked her. I admit she has some issues, and she’s led a tough life, but that doesn’t excuse the way she acted in my eyes. I understand that she thought that what she was doing was for her own good, but she was so cruel in the things she felt sometimes. It was easy to see that not all the demons were outright evil and that some were even harmless, but she still continued to maintain that same belief she’d had since the beginning. I hated that she still felt the way she did more than halfway through the book and that she was still willing to harm Eidolon “for the greater good”. Geez....bitch anyone? But alas, she began to change a bit about half way through....and then I liked her a bit more.

I thought Gem, Shade, and Wraith were all interesting characters too and I look forward to reading the other brothers stories.
I did like this book and I will be finishing the series......


Rating: **** stars
Recommend: Yes
Did I Buy, Borrow or is it an ARC: Bought
Recommend Buy or Borrow: Buy
Ebook or Actual Book: Actual Book
Cover: I really like it. My one is very metalic--so cool.
Read sequel/continue with series: Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo