Friday, April 1, 2011

Book Shelf: Bite Me (Demon Underground #1) by Parker Blue



An edgy book for teens that spans the gap between YA and adult fiction. Life after high school is tough enough without having to go 15 rounds with your inner demon. Val Shapiro is just your ordinary, part-demon, teenaged vampire hunter with a Texas drawl. And a pet hellhound named Fang. Soon enough she finds herself deep in the underbelly of the city, discovering the secrets of the Demon Underground and fighting to save those she loves. Whether they love her back or not.

Blurb taken from Goodreads....




Review:

Going into this book I have to admit that I didn’t have many expectations. I expected it to be another not so great, not very well known book and instead--I loved it! I honestly thought it was brilliant! The author has done a fabulous job bridging the gap of YA and Urban fantasy. The idea isn’t too unique, but this take on vampires is fun and edgy. The plot is fast paced and I was caught from the very first chapter. The moment I begun reading I didn’t want to stop and before I knew it the book was almost finished.

I thought the characters in this book were wonderful. I loved Val! From the very opening chapter I knew she was going to be an awesome heroine, but as the story continued she just seemed to get better and better in my eyes. I thought it was funny how she thought of her demon part as “Lola”. It was cute. She was tough, snarky and kick-ass and yet there was no denying that she also houses a vulnerable side, a side that is simply a teenage girl who has been betrayed by the ones she loves. While I could see why her parent’s felt the way out, I couldn’t comprehend how someone could do that to their own daughter, that they could kick her out so easily and I applaud Val for standing up and approaching things the way she did. My heart continued to break for her all throughout the story as she tried to right by her mum and her family and they just continued to knock her down and treat her badly. It was so sad to watch, but I loved the parts where Dan and Fang stood up for her. It was so great to watch her take charge and fight the good fight.

I liked Dan. He was your typical, mucho man cop, but he was a good guy. Granted I wanted to hit him when he was being a jerk after learning the truth about Val and Lola, but I was glad to see him begin to see the truth and stand up for her against her mother. It was a very honourable thing to do. Dan and Val worked very well together and there’s no denying that they’re a great team. They have chemistry too and I do wonder what could become of them in future books. They do feel something for one another and I’d love to see how they build on that.

I thought Fang was fabulous! He was such a wonderful addition to the story. He was sarcastic and a perfect pal for Val--I mean, come on, who doesn’t love a taking dog, er, ah....hellhound? He was so normal and yet such a fierce little doggie at the same time. I loved how he and Val interacted and how close they became. It’s as though she has a pet and another partner all at the same time. Towards the end of this book, this got really exciting. I had no clue as to who as behind everything and I was really shocked that it was actually Lily. It didn’t seem like we’d seen enough about her in the story and with all clues pointing to Alejandro, learning that she was behind everything was a surprise.

Honestly this book reminds me a lot of Richelle Mead’s Vampire Academy. Val and Rose are very similar and there’s no denying that Val’s relationship with her older partner Dan, can be compared to Rose and Dimitri. That being said there are a lot of things that distinguish between the two and I CANNOT WAIT to read the rest of these books!

Rating: **** stars
Recommend:
Yes!
Did I Buy, Borrow or is it an ARC:
ARC (although technically not)
Recommend Buy or Borrow:
Buy
Ebook or Actual Book:
Ebook


Cover: Nothing special
Read sequel/continue with series:
Yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo