Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Book Shelf: Vampire Breed (Kiera Hudson #4) by Tim O'Rourke


Kiera Hudson wakes to find herself imprisoned. Experiencing nightmares and visions, she slowly realises that she has been subjected to a series of sinister tests and operations. Addicted to blood and in pain, Kiera knows that if she is to survive she will need to escape from her cage. But who is the werewolf that secretly visits her during the night and can Kiera trust him? Where are her friends and why hasn’t Potter come to rescue her as he promised? With no word or message from Luke and Potter, she fears that they might be dead.

But with only a chair and a book for comfort in her cage, can Kiera escape? And even if she does, what will she find on the other side of her cell walls.

(Blurb from
Goodreads....)


Review:

Catapulting the Keira Hudson series into its fourth book, Vampire Breed does not disappoint with its non-stop action and adrenaline rush that sees Keira and the gang head into a whole new level of danger!

As usual author Tim O’Rourke managed to have me on the edge of my seat with excitement and adventure and his flawless writing and storytelling captivated me from the very first page. Vampire Breed is another amazing book in the series and there’s no shortage of mystery, intrigue and danger as O’Rourke blends together an incredible thriller with just the right amounts of romance and humour to entice you.

The world sure has changed since Vampire Hunt. The events of the previous book have had a drastic impact on the town of Wasp Water and even Keira herself has undergone drastic changes as the sleepy town has been overrun with rogue vampires. The Vampyrus still have their plans to take over the world, but a new level of issues come into play as O’Rourke continues to add to his never ending tangle of mystery and danger.

One of the best things about these books is that you never know what’s going on completely. Tim manages to write in a way that has the story flowing so nicely and yet tells you nothing of where he’s taking it. There’s always another question about someone or something on your mind and you wonder about characters and people as the story unfolds. Revelations come to light that have you thinking, “Oh. No. No way! I did NOT see that coming!” And I love that. I always know I’m in for an incredible ride that’s going to have me captivated the entire way throughout when I pick up a Keira Hudson book.

In this book Keira is finds herself imprisoned in some sought of prison or facility, and you as the reader must follow along with Keira as she attempts to figure out just what has happened to her and how much time as past. As Keira pieces together her most recent months in a string of intriguing and detailed dreams, it becomes clear how much she’s changed since the first book and how much the events since she went to Raged Cove have affected her. Personally, I think she’s become stronger in a lot of ways, whist still retaining her personality traits and everything that makes her her, as well as her ability to “see”, but Keira’s new addiction to blood and situation have left her somewhat sad and broken. And yet she NEVER gives up. As she’s happy to point out, she’s Keira Hudson, and she’s going to find a way outta her current predicament, even if it kills her.

As the novel progresses, our favourite characters find Keira once more and the gang must figure out what to do next. Isidor, Kayla, and Potter return as does Jack Seth and a new Lycanthrope inclusion poises more mystery to the book.
I missed the moments without my Potter, but I was doing cartwheels when he was in the book once more. Okay, okay....so I was doing cartwheels in my head, but whatever....Potter was back! That’s all I cared about. Sean Potter, oh how I love you. In Vampire Breed Potter is forced to take charge due to the tragic events in the previous book that saw him loose two of the people who matter to him most. He’s still hoping to save Luke and taking the lead has Potter even grumpier than ever (don’t worry I still love you!). However it’s not just this that has Potter all bothered, and a series of raw revelations to Keira has him begin to really speak how he feels.

As always to me the moments Keira and Potter shared shone. There’s not a moment of these books I dislike, but the scenes with Potter and Keira are always my fave. I missed Luke a tad in this book, but everything that happened only reinforced my desire to see Keira choose Potter once and for all. Keira and Potter as electric together and they may drive one another mad, but they’re so right doing it. They just work....and I’m hoping that Keira’s ready to acknowledge that once and for all real soon!

With the next book signalling the end for this series, I know to expect nothing less than an explosive ending from Tim O’Rourke! He’s loved putting his characters through the wringer (and secretly I’ve loved seeing him do it) but I think that he’s still got more in store for us, especially considering the ending he leaves Vampire Breed with—I did NOT expect that. At all!

Rating:
Source: Sent by author for review (Thanks so much Tim!)
Format: Kindle ebook
Recommend: Yes!
Recommend borrow or buy: But it
Cover: Amazing! This is my second fave cover in the series after the first book's.
Read sequel/continue with series: YES!

Buy: From Amazon.com

10 comments:

  1. Oh! I definitely would not have chosen to read this one based on the name and the cover. There are SO many vampire series it's hard to decide which are worth reading and which aren't. Though, I do love a good vampire story :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, I promise you....this series is worth reading! It's my fave ever self published book series and even though it's a vamparic tale it's the best 99 cent ebook series you'll ever read!

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to read Tim's books starting off with Vampire Shift, and I always love the covers. Glad that you like this book!

    Natasha @ Dreamland Teenage Fantasy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you take a chance on Tim's books soon Natasha. They're such fantastic read and Tim is such a wonderful bloke!

      Delete
  3. This book sounds awesome. Last book I read about vampires was the VA series and I really want to find another great book about vampires. Thank you for the awesome review! So glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series is brilliant....action, humor, romance, and more twists and turns you'll know what you do with--it's a fantastic read! And it's different from a lot of vampire books too--Tim's take is very unique :)

      Delete
  4. YAY! Rachel, wonderful review!! Potter does make your eyes pop in this one. I was like What just happened!!!= WT!!!But that's Tim for ya. Potter is a tad grumpy in this intallment but he has a lot on his shoulders.

    Now you have Wolf House to read, novella:D It's an important bridge to get you to Vampire Hollows, very much worth the read.

    I love this series, as you well know and I have Vampire Hollows cover up on blog and I chatted to Potter about his Wolf House novella down at the Super Sausage..hehe! I'm just waiting on some wonderful goodies I have ordered off Miss Suzi and I shall have a giveaway. She is putting something spesh together for me.

    Have a great day!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank-you Michelle <3 He really does, doesn't he? But you know what....I love him anyway! There's nothing he could do that would make me stop loving him!

      Yes, I have to read Wolf House, the sooner the better I think. I need my Potter fix ;)

      I like the Vampire Hollows cover! It's beautiful! Ooooh, I have to check that out *races off* Potter+Talking+Interview= Heaven <3 Oh, how nice. I'm excited to see what you do. I'm going to give away some of those book plates you sent me too soon. probably around VH's release =) Thanks so much again for sending them!!!

      You too Michelle!

      Delete
    2. Oh Rachel you have to get hold of Wolf House, soon, it's got so much in it and WOW!

      Michelle:D

      Have fun with the bookplates:D

      Delete
    3. I do have Wolf House on my laptop, but I just haven't had the time to read it yet. really wanna though.

      I will, thanks to you :)

      Delete

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for leaving a comment at The Rest Is Still Unwritten! I read each and every comment, even if I don't reply to them all and appreciate your interest in my blog.

Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!
~Rachel
xoxo